Three New Rolex World Records at Auction
The demand and prices of coveted vintage Rolex watches can be seen to only appreciate even during the global pandemic crisis.
And this is indeed good news for those who are looking to sell vintage Rolex watches.
Antiquorum, the auctioneer had its “Important Modern & Vintage Timepieces” auction in Geneva last month. The event set three new world records for three vintage Rolex references –
- 1955 Oyster Rose Gold Chronograph Ref. 6034
- A Submariner COMEX Ref. 1680 from 1979
- And, a Submariner Mark II Ref. 1680 from 1969.
Each watch sold for world’s record-breaking prices. Continue reading below to explore each of the vintage Rolex watches along with their respective record prices.
18ct Rose Gold Oyster Chronograph Ref. 6034
The reference 6034 in 18ct Rose gold rarely shows up at auction. This extremely rare and exquisite manual wind chronograph is an iconic model for two main reasons.
- First, the reference number of this watch begins with a “6XXX”.
- It indicates the preliminary entry to the sportier chronograph editions of the brand.
- Secondly, the reference 6034 is the second chronograph to sport a screw-down water-resistant case-back.
It isn’t easy to estimate how a timepiece would perform at auction and so was the case with this Rolex edition in Rose gold.
However, a stainless steel version of the Oyster Chronograph 6034 sold for a record price of nearly £445,853 at Christie’s “Evening of Exceptional Watches” in 2017.
At Antiquorum’s “Important Modern & Vintage Timepieces” auction, it was predicted that the 18ct Rose gold Chronograph 6034 can fetch anywhere from £212,068 to £296,896.
However, the watch finally sold for £508,965, thereby making a new world record. It exceeded the earlier record price of the steel version by £63,620.
- This particular Oyster Chronograph Ref. 6034 from 1955 was in unrestored “Concours” condition.
- The watch has the hallmarks visible on the lugs and also, on the back of the case.
- Moreover, its rare dial comes with a light patina, featuring dauphine luminescent hands.
- The scarce pink gold bracelet without end-links is also in perfect condition.
Thus, the overall condition of the reference 6034 affirms its record-breaking selling price.
Rolex Submariner COMEX Ref. 1680 from 1979
The Submariner reference 1680 is ideally the rarest of all COMEX sports timepieces.
The brand is known to produce only 60examples approximately of COMEX, making them rarer.
Moreover, most of these iterations no longer feature the original COMEX dial as they were later serviced.
Interestingly, many owners at that time did not prefer the logo of COMEX on the dial.
- However, the COMEX reference 1680 sold at Antiquorum’s auction has been kept in excellent condition.
- What added to the watch’s record price is its original punched warranty card.
- It is an unusual feature among COMEX-stamped versions because COMEX mostly never gave the card to the ultimate owner.
However, this rare example of COMEX Submariner sold for £444,496, exceeding its estimate by a very healthy margin. (Estimated: £127,241 – £212,068)
1969’s Rolex Red Submariner Mark II Ref. 1680
A Rolex Red Submariner is undoubtedly a sought-after watch. But what makes the watch stand out of others?
Rolex produced the Red Submariner from 1969 to 1973. And it was the ever first version of a Submariner featuring a date display.
Within its short production time, Rolex has introduced many variants. It eventually became a more collectable vintage Rolex.
However, the particular Red Submariner reference 1680 in auction features a beautiful brown tropical patina dial.
- The dial is Mark II, and it is indicated by the meters first ordering under the text “Submariner”.
- What’s more, there is the elongated “f” in “ft” and open number six.
- The watch flaunts a correctly engraved attestation of Chronometer.
- Moreover, it comes with its original fitted bracelet dated 1971.
The Red Submariner Mark II Reference 1680 set a world record, selling at nearly £87,832 at Antiquorum.
Sell Vintage Rolex Watches in London – Get Paid Within Minutes
For those who are looking to sell vintage Rolex watches in London, fill up a simple online form and get a free competitive quote immediately.
The Luxury Hut has years of experience in dealing with Rolex vintage models. We know the current market trends and prices of vintage Rolex models.
Thus, you can rest assured you will receive the best price possible for your vintage Rolex watch.