The Revolutionary Rolex Datejust II vs. Rolex Datejust 41
The Rolex Datejust is one of the iconic watches in the brand’s catalogue. Launched in 1945, the brand continues to produce the Datejust to date.
The entire Datejust collection, including the Lady Datejust and Datejust 41 is a popular choice of all time among collectors.
However, both the Rolex Datejust II and Datejust 41mm are classy and popular dress watches.
The Datejust 36mm was the most available Datejust for over six decades. However, Rolex introduced the model’s 41mm version in 2009, keeping with the trend.
While both these classy dress models feature virtually same designs and name, there has been much confusion between the Datejust II and Datejust 41.
Thus, we will be today making a quick comparison between the two popular dress models, exploring their similarities and dissimilarities.
The Rolex Datejust II
Rolex launched the original Datejust II in 2009. It was a significant upgrade from the original 1970s Datejust model.
However, one of the significant updates that Rolex made to the model was on its case diameter.
The watch today comes in a 41mm case size besides the smaller 36mm case.
The Rolex Datejust II flaunts a highly legible face and is available in different dial colour options with a variety of hour markers.
The Rolex Datejust 41
Rolex released the Datejust 41 as a bigger Datejust watch with more refinements in its overall design and movement.
The model is more slender in comparison to other timepieces in the iconic Datejust collection.
Moreover, Rolex aficionados and collectors believe that the Datejust 41 sports a more character than the Datejust II.
Comparison: Rolex Datejust II vs Datejust 41
The Rolex Datejust 41, as well as the Datejust II, comes with stainless steel case often with the gold infusion.
- However, Rolex offered the Datejust 41 in a more variety of bi-tone case colours than the Datejust II.
- On the contrary, the Datejust II models come with a better casing construction.
- It features Paraflex shock absorbers for improved durability and stability.
The Rolex Datejust collection comes with a great variety of dial colours, from monochrome white and black to classic champagne and alluring sunburst blue.
Some of the models also feature diamond dials.
- However, both the Datejust II and Datejust 41 flaunt Cyclops lens above the date window at 3 o’clock.
- Both also feature sapphire crystals that are scratch-resistant and luminous baton hour markers and hands.
- Interestingly, the Datejust II watches have better design and dial options than the Datejust 41.
The Rolex Datejust II is available in different hour markers’ styles, including index, Arabic, and Roman numerals.
- Crown & Bezel
The Rolex Datejust watches have long been epitomised by sophisticated understatement and sweeping lines.
- However, Rolex has indeed offered the larger Datejust II with a thick bezel compared to the classic 36mm model.
- Thus, the Datejust II may provide a more presence on the wrists.
- The model features a gold fluted bezel, rendering the Datejust II a more prominent look.
On the contrary, the Rolex Datejust 41 comes with a more elegant and polished gold bezel.
However, both the models flaunt a screw-down crown, securing the internal complications during water submersions.
Rolex has fitted the Datejust II only with a three-flat link Oyster bracelet. On the contrary, the Rolex Datejust II is available in both Oyster and Jubilee bracelets.
- Movement – Here’s the most significant difference!
The most significant difference between the Rolex Datejust II and Rolex Datejust 41 is in their movement.
The Calibre 3136 powers the Datejust II. This movement is devised significantly based on the iconic Calibre 3135.
However, the manufacturer has made a few modifications for better fitting in a more massive case.
The Calibre 3136
Rolex developed the Calibre 3136 to house a new, larger date wheel. It can also move the date window nearly 1mm away from the dial’s centre.
Interestingly, the brand is known to use this movement only in the Datejust II.
However, unlike the Calibre 3135, the new Calibre 3136 features Paraflex shock absorbers.
The Calibre 3235
Rolex developed its next-generation movement for the Datejust 41 – the Calibre 32XX series.
- The manufacturer upgraded the Calibre 3235 fitting it with Chronergy escapement.
- The Chronergy escapement is known to be 15% more effective compared to a traditional escapement.
- However, other refinements include a high capacity barrel that offers 70hours power reserve, an updated gear train, and a monobloc bearing-mounted rotor.
- The Calibre 3235 also features much nickel-phosphorous alloy components that offer higher resistance to magnetic fields.
Overall, this new generation movement consists of more than 90% new components, and nearly 14 patents protect it.
The Rolex Datejust 41 and the Datejust II come with different styles and mechanisms, appealing a particular kind of users.
While the Datejust II bears a more elusive and sophisticated appeal, the Datejust 41 flaunts a vibrant look due to its fluted bezel.
However, both the watches are highly sought-after among collectors.
Nonetheless, if you are looking to sell a Rolex Datejust in London or sell a Rolex watch of any other collection, get in touch with the trusted watch buyers in London at The Luxury Hut.
Fill up the online form, providing all details of your Rolex watch and receive a free valuation.
At The Luxury Hut, you can sell your Rolex watch with full confidence, getting a fair and competitive price in London.